Reviews and Appeals
September 3, 2001 - August 29, 2005
1. The Workers' Compensation Act gives the following individuals the right to request a review by a Hearing Officer of a decision made concerning a claim for compensation:
• a worker;
• a worker's representative;
• a dependant of a deceased worker; and
• a worker's employer.
2. A Hearing Officer appointed by the President conducts the review. The parties have the right to appeal that decision to the Appeal Tribunal, which is an appeal body independent of the Board.
3. Where compensation has been suspended or reduced for reasons outlined in section 7(1) of the Act, the worker may bypass the Hearing Officer and appeal the decision directly to the Appeal Tribunal.
4. The Workers' Compensation Act gives employers the right to appeal decisions relating to assessments to an Appeal Panel composed of members of the Board.
5. Under the Occupational Health and Safety Act, workers, employers or trade unions representing workers may appeal the following occupational health and safety matters to an Appeal Panel of the Board:
• refusals to give orders; and
• administrative penalties.
6. Parties may also apply to an Appeal Panel to determine if a right of action is removed as per section 41(5) of the Workers' Compensation Act.
Reviews and AppealsOctober 19, 1999 - August 16, 2001 | GC-05 | Policies prior to July 1, 2022
AppealsOctober 14, 1996 - May 31, 1999 | GC-05 | Policies prior to July 1, 2022
AppealsFebruary 15, 1994 - October 14, 1996 | GC-05 | Policies prior to July 1, 2022
AppealsDecember 8, 1993 - February 15, 1994 | GC-05 | Policies prior to July 1, 2022
Release of Claims Information to EmployersNovember 16, 1993 - June 30, 2008 | CL-44 | Policies prior to July 1, 2022
On any given claim, a number of key decisions are made concerning entitlement, benefits, medical treatment, fitness for employment and rehabilitation.
The Workers' Compensation Act recognizes that employers who have employees receiving compensat
IlliteracyNovember 16, 1993 - April 4, 2005 | GC-04 | Policies prior to July 1, 2022
Role of Appeal Panel CounselMay 31, 1999 - May 31, 2008 | GC-05-01 | Policies prior to July 1, 2022
Procedure on a Review HearingApril 9, 2001 - August 26, 2002 | GC-05-03 | Policies prior to July 1, 2022
Transitional ClauseMarch 6, 1995 - April 25, 2005 | GC-09 | Policies prior to July 1, 2022