If you are a spouse or dependant of a worker who died as a result of a work-related injury, you can apply for compensation benefits. During this difficult time, you may have questions about your family’s future. We are here to help and support you. 

When submitting an Application for compensation benefits, the following documents may be required:

  • Coroner report
  • Death certificate
  • Witness statements (if applicable)
  • Proof of spousal status 
    • Marriage certificate (if applicable) or
    • Proof of common law (at least 12 consecutive months prior to death)
      • Possible documents to consider include property title with both names, joint bank account etc. Additional documentation may be requested.
    • Proof of dependant status
      • Birth certificates (if applicable)   

Compensation and other support 

If an application for compensation is accepted as a work-related death, benefits may include:
  • A one-time lump sum payment of $15,000.00 (as indexed) payable to a spouse or the deceased’s estate 
  • Cost of transporting the body to the deceased’s residence, within Canada, up to a maximum amount determined by the Board
  • Spousal pension for life
  • Dependant pension for children until the age of 19 (or 21 if in school full time)
  • Counselling, vocational or academic support for a spouse and counselling for dependent children (see section 124), as considered appropriate by the board