Changes to Occupational Health and Safety Regulations come into force to improve workplace safety cultures
| August 26, 2021
Last year the Government of Yukon approved changes to the Occupational Health and Safety Regulations that come into force on September 4, 2021.
These changes provide Yukon workers and employers with the tools they need to prevent workplace violence and harassment as well as to support the psychological injuries that result from these kinds of incidents. They also make hazard assessment in general clearer and easier to understand, which will enable workplaces to be safer and healthier.
The Yukon Workers’ Compensation Health and Safety Board is offering information and resources to help workplaces prepare to meet the requirements coming into effect this September.
QuotesEveryone deserves to feel safe at work and have a work environment that is free from harassment and violence. The regulatory changes that are coming into effect on September 4 give Yukon’s workers and employers the support and tools they need to ensure our workplaces are positive spaces for everyone. .
– Minister responsible for the Workers’ Compensation Health and Safety Board Richard Mostyn
We are very pleased these important changes are now coming into force. To help workplaces comply with them, we’ve developed a suite of tools that are available for free on our website. Employers can use these tools to establish policies and procedures to help prevent injuries that may result from violence and harassment.
– Yukon Workers’ Compensation Health and Safety Board President and CEO Kurt Dieckmann
- The new Violence and Harassment Prevention Regulation has steps to help employers prevent and mitigate violence and harassment in their workplaces.
- Amendments to Part 1 - General of the Occupational Health and Safety Regulations, make the Regulations about hazard assessment clearer and easier to understand.
- The Yukon Workers’ Compensation Health and Safety Board offers information and resources to help workplaces prepare to meet the requirements of these Regulations. Visit wcb.yk.ca/wvhp to learn more.
- At the Workplace Solutions event on September 1, 2021, speakers will offer practical advice and tools to help workplaces better prepare for the Violence and Harassment Prevention Regulation.
- The Yukon Occupational Health and Safety Regulations are rules to help everyone in the workplace improve workplace safety cultures.
- The Government of Yukon approved changes to the Occupational Health and Safety Regulations in September, 2020.
Yukon Workers’ Compensation Health and Safety Board